- RUWMOneSmallThing – It is midsummer and the days have been a bit lazier and the schedule a bit less crazy. But fall will be here before we know it and our calendars will quickly fill up. It is important to plan now and to get into the habit of making time for at least a little bit of activism each week (so we are ready for the really important elections season). So, this week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference, is to schedule some time during each week (30 minutes, 1 hour, one afternoon or evening, etc.) STARTING NOW, to engage in some activism. Also mark these important dates on that calendar: August 15 – last day for MA residents to register (in order to vote in the primary). September 4 – MA primary elections. November 6 – Midterm election (Blue Wave!)
- Are you registered to vote? Are you sure? The last day to register (in order to vote in the primary) is August 15, and that’s coming up soon. Our primary is on Sept 4th and we need everyone to get out and vote then, but you can’t vote if you aren’t registered. So, take two minutes and check to make sure your registration is up to date here. If it’s not, fix it today!
- Sign-up for the “Nobody is Above the Law” Rapid Response – From MoveOn: Trump will create a constitutional crisis if he fires special counsel Robert Mueller or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Mueller, or attempts to compromise the investigation by other means. Our response in the hours following a potential power grab will dictate what happens next—whether Congress will stand up to Trump or allow him to move our democracy toward authoritarianism. That’s why we’re preparing to hold emergency “Nobody Is Above the Law” rallies around the country, in the event they are needed—900+ of them and counting, in every state, with 350,000 RSVPs to date! Join us by signing up for our local event here.
- Educate yourself about the upcoming MA ballot questions – This November, MA residents will be voting on three ballot questions. Often these can be confusing to read for the first time at the polls. Take a few minutes to learn about them now so you can make an informed response on Nov 6th. You can read about the ballot questions here and here.
- Protect Reproductive Rights in MA – Did you know that there are still laws on the books right here in Massachusetts that include an 1800s ban on all abortions, a state requirement that all non-emergent abortions after the twelfth week of pregnancy be performed in a hospital, and a ban on contraception use for unmarried couples? These haven’t been removed because Roe v. Wade provided Federal-level protection, but now – with the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh – all bets are off. Let’s be safe, not sorry, and help Senator Harriette Chandler get her “NASTY Women” Act (S2260) passed. What You Can Do
- Call and email Jeffrey Sanchez, Chair of House Ways and Means Committee, and ask him to report on S2260 and release it for a vote in the House. Phone:617-722-2990 Email: Jeffrey.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call and email Speaker DeLeo’s office and ask that he bring S2260 to the floor of the House for a vote. Phone: 617-722-2500 Email: Robert.DeLeo@mahouse.gov
- Tell formula companies to BACK OFF! – From MomsRising: The New York Times published a stunning piece detailing how in May, the Trump Administration attempted to weaken a resolution at the World Health Assembly that was meant to “protect, promote and support breastfeeding.” Not only did they seek to water down the language, but they threatened (yes, threatened!) Ecuador, the proposing country, with sanctions and withdrawal of military aid. The Trump Administration resorted to strong-armed tactics in opposition to breastfeeding in order to side with the multi-billion-dollar infant formula industry over the world’s moms and babies. Thankfully, the Administration’s shameful attempts were unsuccessful — thanks to an intervention by Russia (!!!) — but this is not OK! Sign here to tell formula companies to back off & put the health and well-being of moms and babes above corporate profits.
- Sign up for an upcoming #SaveSCOTUS phonebank from Indivisible – Our first step is to get Democrats to stick together and peel off at least two Republican senators. We’re using every tool possible to prevent Trump’s nomination sail through the Senate. Then: we must flip Senate seats in Arizona, Mississippi, Nevada, Tennessee, Texas in November. We need to get to work now to flip these seats in deep red territory—so sign up, make calls, and build our movement in these crucial states. Become a part of this movement. To save SCOTUS—to save our democracy as we know it—we must act swiftly and united. Sign up now to join an upcoming phonebanking shift, and we’ll follow up with everything you need to reach key voters and help put the brakes on Trump’s nominee for good.
- Help Support RiseUpWesternMass Indivisible – RUWMI is completely volunteer run and self-funded to date. Your donation will support the direct costs of our organizing in the greater Springfield area — things like meeting room rental, posters/art supplies, printing, postage, transportation, and more! Any amount is appreciated and you can donate via ActBlue here.
RUWM on Facebook
RUWM on Twitter
RUWM on Instagram
Our work starts here.
We are the change.