Once again, the news cycle short circuited this introduction. We had something else written entirely and then this happened today. You have to watch it for yourself to get the full effect. The video is cued up to the Q/A portion but feel free to start from the beginning to hear the scripted comments too.
We are looking for 1-2 more members (hint if you receive this email you are a member) to join us for a FREE leadership workshop put on by Indivisible MA this coming weekend. Indivisible MA is committed to mobilizing people across the state to flip the House in the midterm elections, and to make our state the national leader of the progressive resistance movement. As an integral part of this, active Indivisible members are invited to take part in the workshop, particularly those who want to take a more active role.
Build the Blue Wave MA: Learn, Connect, and Win!
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
319 Speen Street, Natick, MA 01760
Send an email to Jackie@RiseUpWesternMass.com if you can come. Carpooling is available.
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- Grand Opening Take Back the House Office! – July 19, 5:00-7:00PM, 18 Center St, Northampton. Please join Congressman Jim McGovern and Northampton Mayor David Narkewicz as they help us officially kick-off the Western Mass Take Back the House headquarters. There can be no question that the most important thing we can do is take control of the House from the Republicans that are enabling the Trump administration. You’ll hear from Congressman McGovern and others about the state of the U.S. House and how you can help the Take Back the House efforts. Light refreshments will be served. For more information or to volunteer use this link.
- WMM4A Outreach Training – July 22, 12:00-3:00PM, Holyoke (details with registration). Anyone interested in doing outreach with Western Mass Medicare for All – tabling, speaking to individuals or groups, writing letters or opinion pieces – will benefit from this training. We especially encourage your participation as we embark on an education and advocacy campaign to support the non-binding ballot question on several district ballots in November. While this training is focused towards people with some experience, enthusiastic newcomers are welcome! Register for this training by sending your name, phone number, and email address to Beth Eisenberg: jubilada@iCloud.com. View the event on Facebook
- 1st Hampshire Candidates Forum – July 25, 6:30-8:30PM, The Deuce (World War II Club), 50 Conz St, Northampton. The community is invited to join the candidates for a series of open discussion focusing on our region’s food insecurity and its underlying causes. This is your opportunity to ask questions of the candidates and learn how they intend to ensure everyone has access to healthy food. 1st Hampshire Candidates Forum. View the event on Facebook here.
- Take Back the House Western Mass 2018 Phone-banking and Canvassing Events – Events scheduled to work on taking back the House in a number of races (NH, NY) from June 21-August 1 in the Northampton/Amherst area. Take Back the House 2018 Western Massachusetts is a campaign to connect Western Mass progressives with democratic races in contested states to amplify our impact and take back the House in 2018. Have you wondered “What can I do from a blue state to help take back the House in the midterms?” The answer is “Plenty!” and our help is greatly needed. Join Western Mass activists who are coming together to support efforts to flip the U.S. House from red to blue. To sign up for area events use this link. Or for more information visit the their
- Prisoners Demand the #right2vote Workshop – August 2, 6:00-8:00PM, Out Now, 1695 Main St, Fl 2, Springfield. Prisoners in Massachusetts want their #right2vote returned to them. Started in 2016 and conceived by prisoners, Ballots Over Bars’ initial project, #DonateYourVote, pairs free-world registered voters with disenfranchised prisoners in Massachusetts to discuss the various elections. Then the free-world voter will go to the polls for the primary (Tuesday, September 4th) and the general election (Tuesday, November 6th) and vote the way their incarcerated partner would vote if they had the #right2vote. Sign up to #donateyourvote: Come out for an interactive workshop on the history of Massachusetts prisoner disenfranchisement and prisoner resistance. Learn more about the #DonateYourVote project and ways to get involved to ultimately return the #right2vote to people in prison. Questions? Need childcare or other things to make this event accessible for you? Let us know at EmancipationInitiative@gmail.com. Free. Open to everyone. Facebook event link here.
- Sanctuary in the Streets General Assembly – Aug 6, 6:00-8:00PM, The Parlor Room, 32 Masonic St, Northampton. Sanctuary in the Streets is a rapid response network of 2,000 people and 40 congregations mobilizing against raids and deportations, workplace abuse, and hate crimes. We have a 24-hour response hotline and have trained 800 people to rapidly mobilize as a detention is taking place. At our general assemblies, all our committees meet: fundraising, education and media, logistics and technology, events and training, and our newly formed mutual aid committee. If you’re new, you’ll attend an orientation to learn about the network and the current projects of each committee. You’ll then be ready to join a committee or plug into existing projects! View the event on Facebook
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events. Also, to be “in the know” about what Indivisible groups are doing across Massachusetts, sign up for the MA ACTION newsletter by sending an email to: email@example.com.
Elizabeth Warren for Senate
Josh Zakim for Secretary of State
Meet Josh Zakim , candidate for Secretary of State –
Three opportunities to meet Josh Zakim. Please RSVP at Jonathan@joshzakim.com.
- Greenfield – Saturday, July 21st from 3PM-5PM. Event details here.
- Springfield- Sunday, July 22nd from 4PM-6PM. Event details here.
- Holyoke- Sunday, July 29th from 3PM-5PM. Event details here.
Tahirah Amatul-Wadud for Congress
- Phonebanking for Tahirah Amatul-Wadud for Congress
Every Tuesday 5:00PM – 8:00PM. Click here to email the campaign for details.
Lindsay Sabadosa for State Rep
- Canvassing for Lindsay Sabadosa for State Rep! – Join us every Saturday from 10 am – 1 pm for canvassing around 1st Hampshire District. Event details
- On Air 1st Hampshire Candidate Forum – July 24, 7:00-11:00AM on air! Listen in to WHMP for a candidates’ forum with Lindsay Sabadosa. Event details here
- 1st Hampshire State Representative Candidate Forum – July 30, 6:30-8:00PM. JFK Middle School. Event details
Amaad Rivera for State Senate
- Northampton for Amaad – July 18, 7:00-8:30PM, 23 Prospect Ave, Northampton, MA. Event details
- Amaad For State Senate WOD – Fundraiser and workout for Amaad Rivera. July 22, 7:00-9:30 AM, CrossFit Wingman – Agawam, 45 Tennis Rd, Agawam. Event details here
Chelsea Sunday Kline for State Senate
- Meet Chelsea at the Amherst Town Common – July 22, 2:00-4:00PM, Amherst Common, Amherst. Event details
Why We Must Stop Kavanaugh From Becoming Trump’s Next Supreme Court Justice
It’s happened: Trump has announced his nominee to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court. On July 9th, Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court and set the stage for a monumental shift in the Court’s makeup. If Trump is successful at getting Kavanaugh confirmed, the Court will work to preserve the Trump agenda for decades to come.
Key issues that affect us all hang in the balance, including reproductive rights, access to health care, LGBTQ rights, environmental protections, and much more. Further, the next Supreme Court justice could rule on cases involving Trump himself, whether resulting from the Mueller investigation or otherwise.
Brett Kavanaugh is one of the most cravenly partisan choices Trump could have made. He has been called the “Forrest Gump of Republican politics” because he always seems to show up in high-profile far-right conspiracy theories and political battles.
Here’s what you need to know about his nomination to the Supreme Court.
The More You Know
Does Elizabeth Warren have her sights on 2020?
- Warren Is Preparing for 2020. So Are Biden, Booker, Harris and Sanders.
- The top 15 Democratic presidential candidates for 2020, ranked
- What’s stopping Elizabeth Warren from running president in 2020?
- #Warren2020 gains steam with sweeping pitch for new regs
- Dems mull whether Warren is the one to take on Trump
Check This Out
We could all use a little Mr. Rogers right now.
RUWM on Facebook
RUWM on Twitter
RUWM on Instagram
Our work starts here.
We are the change.