Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- Springfield Solidarity Training: RideShare, Court Accompaniment – Saturday, October 5, 10:30AM-12:30PM, Trinity United Methodist Church, 361 Sumner Ave, Springfield. Put your solidarity into action by becoming part of the Sanctuary in the Streets Rideshare and Court Accompaniment networks. Sign up here. View the event on Facebook here for more information.
- Greensboro Massacre: Lessons for Confronting White Supremacy Today – Sunday, October 6, 2:00-4:00PM, Edwards Church of Northampton. Join us for a community dialogue with civil rights leaders Rev. Nelson and Dr. Joyce Johnson. Forty years ago, five young labor and anti-racist organizers were murdered by white supremacists in Greensboro, NC. We will share with the community the living lessons of that experience and its aftermath. Click here for more details.
- GOTV VA Letter Writing – Sunday, October 6, 4:30-6:00PM, Barnes and Noble Café, 7 Holyoke Street, Holyoke. Why are writing to voters in Virginia? The GOP holds slim majorities in both the State Senate (21 -19) and the State House of Delegates (51 – 49.) All of these seats are up for election this November. In the Pioneer Valley we can help Virginia Democrats win majorities in both houses with our letters to potential Democratic voters. A victory will mean that Democrats can address gerrymandering and bring the state’s focus to important climate and immigration issues. Sign up here to help Virginia Democrats take back two houses.
- Holyoke’s Latinx History Panel Discussion – Thursday, October 10, 11:00AM-12:30PM, Holyoke Community College, 303 Homestead Ave, Holyoke. This #HispanicHeritageMonth panel features Betty Medina-Lichtenstein, Orlando Isaza, and Miguel Arce. These long-time contributors to the quality of life and best interest of the #Latinx community in western Massachusetts, but especially in #Holyoke, will share their personal experiences as educators, organizers, changers of policy, and great mentors for the Latinx community, especially our large #PuertoRican community. View the event on Facebook here.
- Medicare for All: A Discussion about Healthcare – Thursday, October 10, 6:00-7:30PM, Southampton Town Hall, 8 East St, Southampton. Watching the presidential debates and getting confused about what Medicare for All actually is? Come by the Select Board room at Southampton Town Hall on October 10th for a discussion with State Representative Lindsay Sabadosa, lead House sponsor of the Massachusetts Medicare for All legislation, on the topic of Medicare for All. Bring your questions and comments! View the event on Facebook here.
- U.S. Foreign Policy in the Middle East: Trends and Trajectories – Thursday, October 10, 7:00-9:00PM, Mount Holyoke College, 50 College St, South Hadley. With Iran-U.S. tensions rising, geopolitical alliances shifting, and U.S. influence waning, what will be the future of U.S. policy in the Middle East and broader Muslim world? Join us to hear renowned Middle East experts, Dr. Trita Parsi and Dr. Stephen Walt discuss the broad contours of the Trump administration’s approach to the region and implications for stability. Our speakers will examine the administration’s rhetoric and policies and will discuss how these reflect its priorities in the region. Click here for more details.
- RUWMI-Swing Left 2020 Monthly Action – Sunday, October 13, 10:30AM – 12:00PM. Gateway City Arts, 92 Race Street, Holyoke. Come join us for our October postcard/letter-writing event! It’s fun, easy, and effective. We’ll supply postcards/letters and stamps and all the information you will need. You just bring yourself (and maybe a friend), good cheer, and a limber writing hand! (Donations of 35-cent postage stamps, or cash to cover stamps greatly appreciated but not required). Election Day 2020 seems a long way off, but now is when we need to begin making sure that Democratic voters in critical swing states, get registered and show up at the polls! You can view the event on Facebook here.
- Northampton – Reach out to Virginia Voters October 21 – Monday, October 21, 5:00-6:30PM, Forbes Library Community Room, 20 West St, Northampton. Please join us in encouraging likely Democratic voters to register to vote. The ability to turn out the vote will make or break this upcoming election for Dems. All materials are provided. You just write a brief note and address the envelope. It’s easy and a good way to meet like-minded people. Please bring 15 stamps or a donation of $8 to cover their cost. RSVP here.
- Our City, Our Voices Community Action Meeting – Tuesday, October 29, 6:00-8:00PM, Sacred Heart Church, 395 Chestnut St, Springfield. Join us as we take public action and ask for public commitments from our elected officials on important issues including education, housing, the opioid crisis, ending gun violence and more! PVP is united for dignity and justice for all of our people! Hosted by Pioneer Valley Project. View event details here.
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events. Also, to be “in the know” about what Indivisible groups are doing across Massachusetts, sign up for the MA ACTION newsletter by sending an email to: email@example.com.