It’s been a scary week!
Hello fellow RUWMI activists!
This week has been scary – watching as men vote to strip away the right of women to CONTROL THEIR OWN BODIES, in state after state. I am angry, and I am scared, and to be honest I’m not sure what to do with those feelings other than to channel them into action. I’ve spoken out, I’ve donated, and I will work my a@@ off in the next election. Beyond that, I don’t know. Are you angry too? Are you scared too? What are you doing to combat this? You don’t have to respond, it’s more important that you answer that question for yourself, than for me.
Are you involved in a local action group? Your town democratic committee? An issues or ally group? If so, we want to hear from you. We want to amplify your messages and your events. We want to be able to reach out to your members (through you) in order to increase participation in our events too. Let’s work together and create a tighter web of community action. You can contact us by replying to this email or emailing me directly firstname.lastname@example.org
- RUWMOneSmallThing – As we plunge headfirst into the primary, it’s vital that we become a more informed electorate. We are going to hear a lot about the The Green New Deal. Candidates will undoubtedly be asked about their support for it during the upcoming debates. How can we best assess our favorite candidate’s response to this question? By becoming more familiar with The Green New Deal ourselves. So, this week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference is to read The Green New Deal here (yes another reading assignment, but it’s only 14 pages. You got this!)
- Learn How to Help Oppose Abortion Bans – (h/t Indivisible MA). Most of you probably know that Alabama just passed the nation’s most draconian abortion bill. Make no mistake about it–they are coming for Roe v Wade. Read this to learn more about it, find out where you can give money, and how else to help. Join in the call from reproductive rights and justice advocates across the country to #StopTheBans on abortion that numerous states have passed in recent weeks. These extreme bans are an all-out assault on abortion access, enabled by Trump’s dangerous rhetoric and Mitch McConnell’s theft of the Supreme Court. You can sign up at stopabortionbans.org to be among the first to know how to take action to fight back.
- Start a Mueller Report Book Club – (h/t Indivisible MA) A recent poll showed that only 3 percent of Americans have read the full Mueller Report.
It is understandable that the numbers are so low. It’s a huge document, and it’s a little overwhelming to dig into, what with all of the things we need to keep up with. But there is a new initiative to encourage more people to dive in the report: Mueller Report Book Club! Imagine getting together with your people, having some coffee/tea/wine/what-have-you and talking about the Report. It’s socialization plus democracy. Brilliant! You can start a reading group of your own in your own group or community. Read about how to get started here!
- Tell your MoCs to prevent a new war with Iran – (h/t Indivisible National). Trump and his war cabinet are dialing up the escalations to a 10, including deploying additional military force to the region. Noted war enthusiast, John Bolton, has called this a “clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime” in response to secret, ill-defined “threats.” MoCs can co-sponsor H.R. 2354 / S. 1039 to explicitly deny Trump the authority he needs to start a new war. Use this link for call scripts and phone numbers.
- Sign the petition: Revoke the NRA’s tax-exempt status – (h/t The Other 98%). The NRA is full of criminals, and it’s time to hold them accountable.
It’s bad enough that they buy politicians and kill every meaningful attempt to craft gun safety legislation in America, even as mass shootings happen at a rate of more than one per day. The NRA also classifies itself as a non-profit organization, meaning that it has no tax liability whatsoever! Recent reporting has also shown that the NRA is essentially a fraudulent non-profit teetering on the edge of collapse. Public pressure could be what ends the NRA. Add your name here to tell the IRS to revoke the NRA’s tax status!
- Organize a debate watch party – (h/t Indivisible National) June will mark the start of primary debate season, so now would be a good time to start planning your watch party! The first debates will be June 26th and 27th in Miami (10 candidates per night, each night) — we’ll have more resources, recruitment opportunities and fun ideas for your parties coming soon, but it’s never too early to get the date on the calendar, make a FB event and invite some friends!
- Want even more action items? You can get additional action items delivered directly to your inbox by signing up with Rogan’s List, Americans of Conscience Checklist or Wall-Of-Us.
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- Caucus to Elect Delegates to the Dem State Convention – Tuesday, May 21, 6:30-7:30PM, West Springfield Public Library, West Springfield. Registered Democrats in West Springfield will hold a caucus on May 21, 2019 at the West Springfield Public Library Rotary Conference Room, 200 Park Street to elect delegates and alternates to the 2019 Massachusetts Democratic State Convention. Doors will open at 6:30pm, and the caucus will begin at 7:00pm. View the event on Facebook
- #StoptheBans Rally Northampton – Tuesday, May 21, 7:00-8:00PM, Pulaski Park, Main Street, Northampton. Across the country, we are seeing a new wave of extreme bans on abortion, stripping away reproductive freedom and representing an all-out assault on abortion access. This is Trump’s anti-choice movement… and it’s terrifying, particularly for women of color and low-income women who are most affected by these bans. View the event on Facebook
- #StoptheBans Day of Action Call Springfield – Tuesday, May 21, 6:30PM Phone call. This Tuesday, join with allies across the state for an Action Call to learn more about the ROE Act and how to take action to protect access to care. This event will be hosted by ACLU- Massachusetts, NARAL- Pro Choice Mass, and Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund Massachusetts. A link will be provided prior to the event. RSVP for the call
- Ward 6 Dems 2019 Caucus for Convention – Wednesday, May 22, 6:00-8:00PM. 45 Sumner Avenue, Springfield. Join your friends and neighbors in Ward 6 to elect delegates to the Massachusetts Democratic Convention to be held in Springfield on September 14. View event details
- Warren for President Western MA Volunteer Summit – Wednesday, May 22, 6:00-7:30PM, Gateway City Arts, 92 Race Street, Holyoke. Join Team Warren for our very first Massachusetts Volunteer Summit of the Warren for President Campaign. Reconnect with old friends, make some new ones, and get updates from the campaign on ways you can PERSIST here at home.
Use this link to sign-up to attend.
- Forest Park Civic Association Meeting Re: Pipeline Project – Wednesday, May 22, 7:00-8:30PM, 361 Sumner Ave, Springfield. Come join the Forest Park Civic Association, Victor Davila, and Arise for Social Justice to discuss the Columbia Gas Pipeline Project which has great potential to impact Springfield residents. Let’s work together to get educated and protect our community!! For more information view the event on Facebook
- Holyoke Pride March & Flag Raising – Friday, May 31, 4:00-5:30PM, Holyoke City Hall, 536 Dwight St, Holyoke. Mayor Alex B. Morse invites the community to attend the Annual Pride Flag Raising at Holyoke City Hall on May 31st. This ceremony will begin with a small march starting at United Congregational Church at 4:00pm where it will head and end at City Hall.
We are very excited for #HolyokePride! Our goal is to honor and celebrate diversity, and inclusiveness in the City of Holyoke. We encourage all to attend and to invite friends! View event details here.
- Medicare for All in Mass. Info Session – Friday, May 31, 5:30-7:30, 640 Page Blvd, Springfield. Are you a supporter of Medicare for All? Are you curious and want to learn more? On Friday, May 31st, the Springfield Hub of Western Mass. Medicare for All will host a presentation of the legislation presently on Beacon Hill to institute Medicare for All in Massachusetts. View event details
- CD1PC Platform Convention – Saturday, June 1, 1:00-3:00, Mason Square Branch Library, 765 State St, Springfield. At each of the 3 Town Hall events the CD1PC held this year, Congressman Richie Neal’s constituents spoke passionately about issues such as Medicare-for-All, The Green New Deal, getting corporate PAC money out of politics, infrastructure, accessibility to our elected officials and more! It is clear that residents of CD1 want progressive policies that reflect the needs and values of our district. Unfortunately, the Congressman did not attend those town hall events, so we gathered those important questions and comments and delivered them to his office. Now, as we prepare for the upcoming election cycle, it is time to coalesce our thoughts and prioritize our needs and create a progressive platform for CD1.We want your input! Join us as we review the draft of our platform. Speak up about the issues that matter most to you. This event is open to all residents of MA First Congressional District. View the event on Facebook
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events. Also, to be “in the know” about what Indivisible groups are doing across Massachusetts, sign up for the MA ACTION newsletter by sending an email to: email@example.com.
Join in Next Steps for Indivisible MA
Forty-seven enthusiastic activists attended the Indivisible Statewide Collaboration Meeting on Saturday, May 11, representing 25 chapters and 40 towns across Massachusetts from the Berkshires to the Outer Cape and even Nantucket!
Our goal was to look at the ways that chapters want to collaborate and how we can work together across the state to:
- stay informed,
- connect and collaborate with one another,
- learn from each other, and
- take action to have maximum impact.
The great energy and ideas in the room led to a consensus that coordination at the statewide level will benefit us all, especially as we build on base principles of transparency, representation, inclusiveness, and collaboration. Stay tuned for meeting notes of our discussions, arriving in your in-box shortly.
As a next phase of this process, sixteen people stepped up to participate in a task force to outline a statewide organization and the functions that will support our work as chapters. The first meeting of the organizational task force is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, May 22 from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM via a Zoom call.
If you would like to join this task force, please reply directly to Deb Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org
The More You Know
Mothers of the Movement – The unbelievable strength of mothers who have had to endure the unimaginable.
- Black Lives Matter: Stories from the Mothers | Oxford Union (if you only click one link, make sure to watch this!!)
- Sybrina Fulton, the mother of Trayvon Martin, is running for office
- Tamir Rice’s mother building center to nurture youth, honor her son
- Sandra Bland’s mother urges House committee to pass bill named after her daughter
- Slain Sean Bell’s mother pens new book after her son was shot by cops 50 times
Check This Out
#OutThem – Just watch this video from Kristina Kuzmic.