An important word about the primaries …
We hope you all had a meaningful holiday weekend. I spent much of the weekend, reading the Mueller report.
Why read the full report? Because I am living through this moment in history and I want to learn firsthand what transpired.
Why read the full report? Because I want to know the facts so I won’t be easily swayed by opinion.
Why read the full report? Yes, also because it satisfies my voyeuristic need to read all of the ‘dirt’.
An important word about primaries.
The democratic primary field is large and growing. Some of you reading this may still be feeling the Bern while others are excited to support Warren, our home-state candidate. Some of you are waiting eagerly for Biden to officially announce while others feel the need for a generational shift and are interested in Beto or Mayor Pete. Some of you are certain that we need a woman in the White House and others that we need a person of color. Some of you feel that we need to elect the most progressive candidate, while others think a moderate can best clinch the election. Fortunately, no matter what you are looking for in a candidate, there is likely at least one you can be excited about supporting.
At RUWMI we believe that the amount and diversity of the 2020 candidates is a good thing. We have an embarrassment of riches, and we can probably all agree that any of the candidates would be a welcome change from the current White House occupant. Ultimately, whichever democratic candidate ends up on the ballot in the general election will be receiving our support. Until that person is chosen however, we will not be endorsing any one candidate. As an organization devoted to helping people engage in the democratic process, we will post announcements as candidates enter the race, factual policy statements, and occasional other items if we feel the general message is one that fits within our mission. However, no endorsement will be stated and none is to be implied from these postings. (Note that as Liz Warren is our current MoC we will continue to post items relevant to her actions as our Senator). As we get closer to the primary, we will also bring back the Candidates’ Corner section of the newsletter to post any local candidate related events and volunteer opportunities.
- RUWMOneSmallThing – Attorney General William Barr has now released a heavily-redacted version of the Mueller report. That’s not good enough. The redacted version of the Mueller report shows clearly that The American people deserve the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. So, this week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference is to sign on to this petition to tell the DOJ “ Release the full unredacted Mueller report”. Our own Senator, Ed Markey is one of the sponsors of this petition. You can sign the petition here.
- Enact Progressive Tax Reform – Millions of Americans filing their taxes for the first time since the TrumpTax took effect found that their tax bill went up — not down, like the GOP promised — sometimes by thousands of dollars. The GOP tax scam left millions behind — tell Congress to #TaxTheRich by signing the petition to enact progressive tax reform. Sign the petition and tell Congress to make our tax code work for everyone, not just millionaires and billionaires. (h/t Tax March)
- Support Black Churches Destroyed by Arson – Three Black churches in Louisiana’s St. Landry Parish were destroyed by fire, apparently the work of an arsonist motivated by racism. To help rebuild St. Mary Baptist Church in Port Barre, and the Greater Union Baptist Church and Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Opelousas, the Jewish Federation of New Orleans and the Anti-Defamation League are recommending donations to the Seventh District Missionary Baptist Association at this page. (h/t Rogan’s List/Indivisible MA).
- Help People Navigate Voter ID Laws – Vote Riders is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that helps people get the IDs that they need to vote. Their website lists nine ways that we can help. Let’s visit this page and learn what we can do. (h/t Rogan’s List/Indivisible MA).
- Urge Congress To take action and investigate Trump – It’s our turn to put in the work to urge Congress to
use their oversight powers to investigate Trump. Members of Congress
(especially those who sit on relevant committees like Judiciary or
Intelligence) should continue using their subpoena power to uncover the full
Mueller report, as well as pursuing investigations related to Trump’s
corruption, both during and before his time in office. There are a few ways
we’re going to do that: (h/t Indivisible)
- Call Congressman Neal and tell him to support Rep. Rashida Tlaib’s impeachment resolution. Make a call to your MoC and tell them to co-sponsor Rep. Tlaib’s resolution (H.Res. 257) and begin investigating whether Trump should be impeached. Call script and phone number can be found here.
- Send an email to support Rep. Tlaib’s impeachment resolution. Write up an email (or use our suggested text!) and we’ll send your letter to your MoC urging them to co-sponsor Rep. Tlaib’s resolution.
- Sign on to say, “No bans, Period!” – It’s clear that Roe v. Wade is at risk in a way we’ve never seen before. Six-week bans have been filed or signed in sixteen states already this year — that’s unprecedented. Unfortunately, these bans are just one way lawmakers are trying to take away abortion access. There are over 260 anti-abortion restrictions pending right now in 43 states. The lawmakers behind these bans and restrictions have made it clear that their ultimate goal is to ban all abortions, everywhere, under any circumstance. If you’re ready to fight back, now is the time. Please, add your name right now to our open letter to say loud and clear: No bans. Not now, not ever. (h/t Planned Parenthood)
- Want even more action items? You can get additional action items delivered directly to your inbox by signing up with Rogan’s List, Americans of Conscience Checklist or Wall-Of-Us.
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- Abortion Access Bowl-a-Thon – Tuesday, April 23, 6:00-8:00PM, Spare Time Northampton and City Sports Grille, 525 Pleasant St, Northampton. We’re lacing up our bowling shoes and getting to work! Join us to #FundAbortionBuildPower. Your participation could be the difference between someone getting the abortion they need and being forced to go without. Last year we raised over $7000 for the Abortion Rights Fund of Western Massachusetts — we hope you’ll join us again as we work to surpass last year’s goal! Start fundraising today by creating or joining a team at https://bowl.nnaf.org/wmass. Remember – there will be prizes for top fundraisers and best team name (and more!) so get creative and get fundraising!
- Town Hall for Constituents of Richie Neal – Saturday, April 27, 1:00-3:00PM, Shelburne Fellowship Hall, 17 Little Mohawk Rd, Shelburne Falls. Join the CD-1 Progressive Coalition as we host our third town hall for residents of MA CD-1, as constituents represented by Chairman Richard Neal. We will once again invite Rep Neal to join us, and will update this event when we hear back from his office. If Chairman Neal cannot meet with us during this time, which has been designated specifically for reps to do in-district work, we can support each other and make sure he knows we are here, waiting. We will join together to discuss issues we want our Congressman to address, particularly given his role as Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee. Ample time will be allowed for us to gather your questions and concerns which we will compile and deliver to the Congressman’s office. Please RSVP using this link. You can also view the event on Facebook here.
- Pioneer Valley Smart Growth Summit – Thursday, May 9, 8:00-12:00AM, Gateway City Arts, 92 Race Street, Holyoke. Join us for a summit about how cities and towns in the Pioneer Valley can build stronger communities today in the face of the challenges posed by climate change and inequality. We’ll look at the built (and unbuilt) environment, including land-use and housing, climate adaptation, transportation, public health, and economic development. How can we break down silos to tackle complexity? How can we create a more nurturing and resilient community at the local and regional scale? Use this link to register for the event. View more about the event on Facebook here.
- RUWMI-Swing Left 2020 Monthly
Action – Saturday,
May 11, 1:00-2:30PM, Gateway City Arts, 92 Race Street, Holyoke. Want to help
UNIFY DEMOCRATS and build an even BIGGER BLUE WAVE in the 2020 election? Come
and spend an hour and a half with us to impact the 2020 elections using the
“Super State” Strategy developed by Swing Left. Check out this 5-minute video.
We will bring all the letter writing materials, including pre-printed letters,
and you add your comments and inspirational messages! Donations of $10 or so to
cover the cost of stamps and printing are appreciated, but not required. You
can sign up for the event on Facebook here. Don’t like
Facebook? Sign up through the Action Network, instead using this link.
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events. Also, to be “in the know” about what Indivisible groups are doing across Massachusetts, sign up for the MA ACTION newsletter by sending an email to: email@example.com.
The Mueller Report: Investigating Trump and holding him accountable
Like you, we spent most of yesterday digesting all of the information that came from the release of the (heavily-redacted) Mueller Report.
Even though Attorney General William Barr’s stressed once again in his morning presser that Trump was completely exonerated — the report told us otherwise, further proving to us that Barr is just another agent of the Trump administration.
The report uncovered 10 instances of possible obstruction in the 2016 election. Mueller concluded that he couldn’t determine Trump’s involvement in crimes from those instances, but that it doesn’t exonerate Trump.
You can read more on the report and what’s next in our Mueller Report resource here.
The More You Know
Mueller Report Cliff Notes Versions
- The Surprises in the Mueller Report
- 14 Must-Read Moments From the Mueller Report
- The Mueller report, explained in 500 words
- The stranger parts of the Mueller report you may have missed
- ‘Oh my God. This is terrible.’: Top quotes from special counsel Robert Mueller’s report
Check This Out