Hello fellow RUWMI activists,
This about sums up this week!
This weekend we attended a training with Indivisible Massachusetts. We gathered with other group and team leaders from around the state, shared ideas, and helped each other problem-solve. It was great to network and learn some new team-building skills we will be incorporating them into RUWMI as we work toward this most important fall election season. See the Indivisible Massachusetts section below for some updates on our state-wide and nationwide goals.
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- 1st Hampshire Candidates Forum – Wed., July 25, 6:30-8:30PM, The Deuce (World War II Club), 50 Conz St, Northampton. The community is invited to join the candidates for a series of open discussion focusing on our region’s food insecurity and its underlying causes. This is your opportunity to ask questions of the candidates and learn how they intend to ensure everyone has access to healthy food. 1st Hampshire Candidates Forum. View the event on Facebook here.
- Holyoke Dems Annual BBQ – July , 28, 1:00-3:00PM, 27 Jarvis Ave, Holyoke. Please join us for our annual BBQ. Everyone is asked to bring a side dish to share and school supplies for our annual drive. We will be joined by State Auditor, Suzanne Bump as well as many Candidates and campaigns. View the event on Facebook here.
- Take Back the House Western Mass 2018 Phone-banking and Canvassing Events – Events scheduled to work on taking back the House in a number of races (NH, NY) from June 21-August 1 in the Northampton/Amherst area. Take Back the House 2018 Western Massachusetts is a campaign to connect Western Mass progressives with democratic races in contested states to amplify our impact and take back the House in 2018. Have you wondered “What can I do from a blue state to help take back the House in the midterms?” The answer is “Plenty!” and our help is greatly needed. Join Western Mass activists who are coming together to support efforts to flip the U.S. House from red to blue. To sign up for area events use this link. Or for more information visit the their
- Prisoners Demand the #right2vote Workshop – , August 2, 6:00-8:00PM, Out Now, 1695 Main St, Fl 2, Springfield. Prisoners in Massachusetts want their #right2vote returned to them. Started in 2016 and conceived by prisoners, Ballots Over Bars’ initial project, #DonateYourVote, pairs free-world registered voters with disenfranchised prisoners in Massachusetts to discuss the various elections. Then the free-world voter will go to the polls for the primary (Tuesday, September 4th) and the general election (Tuesday, November 6th) and vote the way their incarcerated partner would vote if they had the #right2vote. Sign up to #donateyourvote: Come out for an interactive workshop on the history of Massachusetts prisoner disenfranchisement and prisoner resistance. Learn more about the #DonateYourVote project and ways to get involved to ultimately return the #right2vote to people in prison. Questions? Need childcare or other things to make this event accessible for you? Let us know at EmancipationInitiative@gmail.com. Free. Open to everyone. Facebook event link here.
- Sanctuary in the Streets General Assembly – , Aug 6, 6:00-8:00PM, The Parlor Room, 32 Masonic St, Northampton. Sanctuary in the Streets is a rapid response network of 2,000 people and 40 congregations mobilizing against raids and deportations, workplace abuse, and hate crimes. We have a 24-hour response hotline and have trained 800 people to rapidly mobilize as a detention is taking place. At our general assemblies, all our committees meet: fundraising, education and media, logistics and technology, events and training, and our newly formed mutual aid committee. If you’re new, you’ll attend an orientation to learn about the network and the current projects of each committee. You’ll then be ready to join a committee or plug into existing projects! View the event on Facebook here.
- League of Women Voters Springfield Challenge – , Aug. 7, 4:00-8:00PM, Holy Name Social Center, 53 Alderman St, Springfield. The LWV/Springfield has accepted a challenge from sister Leagues in Springfield, Missouri, and Springfield, Illinois, to see who can increase mid-term voter turnout by the greatest percentage! We need your help to register and engage voters. Click here to volunteer. Today in the Forest Park neighborhood’s National Night Out event, we will be registering voters and sharing information on our upcoming voters’ guides and candidate forums. We’ll sign voters up to receive our text reminders for the fall elections. Facebook event details here.
- Meet the Candidates for State & Local Office – , Aug 8, 5:30-7:30PM, Mason Square Branch Library, 765 State St, Springfield. Hosted by Springfield City Library. Get to know the candidates for local and statewide offices. Find out where they stand on the issues and let them know your concerns before you cast your vote in the Primary Election. Register to vote, make sure your registration is active, and confirm where your polling place is. The Mason Square Branch Library will be closed for regular business but the doors on the State Street and Monroe Street sides will be open for you to come in. View details on Facebook here.
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events. Also, to be “in the know” about what Indivisible groups are doing across Massachusetts, sign up for the MA ACTION newsletter by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elizabeth Warren for Senate
- Canvassing for Elizabeth Warren – July 28, in Springfield. For details please contact Sasha Jimenez
Josh Zakim for Secretary of State
- Meet Josh Zakim , candidate for Secretary of State –Please RSVP here. Holyoke- Sunday, July 29th from 3PM-5PM. Event details here.
Quentin Palfrey for Lieutenant Governor
- Holyoke Reception for Quentin – August 14, 6:00-8:00PM, 27 Jarvis Ave, Holyoke. Event details
Tahirah Amatul-Wadud for Congress
- Canvassing for Tahirah (Easthampton) – July 25 @4:00PM and July 28@ 3:00PM. Training available 30 minutes before canvass. Email for the meet-up location.
- Hor d’oeuvres & phones for Tahirah for Congress – July 31 and August 7, 5:00PM. Click hereto email the campaign for details.
Lindsay Sabadosa for State Rep
- Canvassing for Lindsay – Every Saturday until Sept 1, from 10 am – 1 pm for canvassing around 1st Hampshire District. Event details
- Phone Banking for Lindsay – Every Tuesday until Aug 28 @6:00PM, 76 Gothic St, Northampton, MA. Event details
- On Air 1st Hampshire Candidate Forum – July 24, 7:00-11:00AM on air! Listen in to WHMP for a candidates’ forum with Lindsay Sabadosa. Event details here
- 1st Hampshire State Representative Candidate Forum – July 30, 6:30-8:00PM. JFK Middle School. Event details
Amaad Rivera for State Senate
- Phone Bank for Change – July 26, 4:30-8:30PM, Event details
- Canvass with Amaad – July 29, 1:00-5:00PM, Event details
- Party with a Purpose: McKnight Neighborhood – July 31, 6:30-8:00PM, Event details here
- Party for a Purpose: Bloke 4 Amaad – August 4 at 9:30 PM – 2 AM, Bishop’s Lounge, 41 Strong Ave, Northampton, Event details here
Chelsea Sunday Kline for State Senate
- South Hadley Canvass – July 28, 10:30AM-5:30PM, Hadley Falls, Canal St. Event details
- Meet Chelsea Sunday Kline candidate for State Senate – Aug 6, 7:30-8:45PM, 25 Mountain Laurel Path, Florence. Event details
Jo Comerford for State Senate
- Greenfield Door Knocking for Jo Comerford – Saturday July 27th: 11:30a-1:30p, 1:30p-3:30p, 3:30p-5:30p and Sunday July 28th: 11:30a-1:30p, 1:30p-3:30p, 3:30p-5:30p. Meet at Green Fields Market, Upstairs Community Room,144 Main St, Greenfield. RSVP
Building a Blue Wave
At the state-wide training this weekend we discussed how we can be part of the Blue Wave to flip the house in November. There are 60 House races that are considered highly competitive, 55 of which are currently held by Republicans. That means in order to win back the house we need to keep the 5 seats in these tight races that are currently held by Democrats and gain an additional 23. This is doable! While none of the races are in MA, 3 are close enough for us to work with directly; they are New Hampshire-district 1, Maine – district 2, and New York – district 19. Keep watch for opportunities to supports these races.
In addition, we have to keep our eyes on races here at home too including: Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, District Attorneys etc. Lastly, we have important ballot questions to consider such as the Freedom for All MA initiative.
The More You Know
Get to know your candidates – There are several important state level elections in MA this year, including several Democratic primaries. Here are some candidates you may not know a lot about yet.
Democratic Candidates for MA Secretary of State
Democratic Candidates for Lieutenant Governor
Check This Out
Check out this Trump inspired update for a Schoolhouse Rock Classic!