- RUWMOneSmallThing – The media has spent considerably more time on Roseanne’s tweets than on the devastating news of the actual death toll numbers in Puerto Rico. So, this week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference is to spread the word and make sure to keep this important story in the news cycle. You can share this link, and this one, and this one.
- Call Senators: Stop Homeland Security from Separating Children from Their Parents at the Border – From ACLU: Homeland Security – in collaboration with Jeff Sessions’ Justice Department – is cruelly separating families at the border for no legitimate reason. Immigration authorities have separated THOUSANDS of children from their families. Some children, like the son of someone in our lawsuit, are as young as 18 months old. We know the government will bend to public pressure because they have already reunited one asylum seeker with her child after more than 65,000 activists like you signed the petition. Now we need to make sure our members of Congress take action to end this cruel practice once and for all. Use this easy tool to make a call.
- Send an e-mail to Support Safe Communities – – Send Governor Baker an email using this link and this sample script.
Dear Governor Baker,
I am grateful for the Senate’s leadership in adopting protections for immigrant families. Please read amendment #1147. The Senate budget amendment does not restrict communications with federal agencies, nor does it prevent the DOC from working with ICE. The Senate budget simply prevents police from asking about people’s immigration status; ends 287(g) contracts between sheriffs (not DOC) and ICE; requires that immigrants in custody be informed of their due-process rights; and ensures that Massachusetts does not contribute to any registry based on religion, ethnicity, citizenship, or other protected categories. The Senate Minority Leader included each of these provisions, word for word, in his own redrafted amendment.
I respectfully request that you accord this legislation the same respect you give other legislation and let the conference committee do its work without prejudice.
[Your address or town]
Thank you for your help!
- Call Mitch McConnell – Call Mitch McConnell at (202) 224-2541 and tell him to publicly commit to act on Mueller’s #ObstructionOfJustice report and to support Grand Jury subpoena of Trump if Trump seeks to challenge Article2 executive power or pardon power, as a defense to the Mueller Investigation.
- Take Action Against Excessive Force in Arrests – Activists in Alabama are pushing for the local district attorney to drop the charges filed against Chikesia Clemons after police used excessive force against her in arresting her at a Waffle House. Color of Change is organizing folks nationwide to join the call for action. We can sign on
- Consider supporting women who are running – If you are able, consider making a donation to one of these powerhouse women working to represent us! (Of course, there are also lots of women voting in local elections too!)