Hello fellow RUWMI activists,
I think at one point or another this thought has resonated with all of us. Good thing we have each other to continue fighting with!
We have some exciting news to share!
As you all know (if you read our special edition email last week), we voted to decide if Rise Up Western Mass Indivisible should endorse Tahirah Amatul-Wadud as Candidate for Congress to represent us here in the 1st district. This vote was the final step in the Indivisible decision-making process, which also included ensuring that her platform met with our group’s agenda and having her come speak to our group to favorable reviews. We are so pleased to announce that the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of supporting Tahirah. So, today we announce our official endorsement of her.
Even more exciting is that our endorsement joins that of another area Indivisible group, Franklin County Continuing the Political Revolution. FCCPR is submitting Tahirah’s name for nomination to be endorsed by Indivisible National. Having our endorsement strengthens this nomination.
Thank you to all who came to hear Tahirah speak (either at our event or at one of the many other area events that have been held), to all who provided feedback, and of course to all who participated in the vote. We gave Tahirah the good news this weekend and got an emoji filled reply in which she sent us her heartfelt gratitude for our support!
Look for updates, information, and opportunities from Tahirah’s campaign in future newsletters. In today’s newsletter we wanted to share this statement from Tahirah in which she addresses the concern about Rep. Richard Neal’s Seniority, particularly in relation to the Ways and Means committee. This concern was one that was raised during our voting.
In other news we want to make sure you have April 17th on the calendar for our next event, Meeting Your Legislators Face to Face: “How-To” Panel Discussion. We’ll do a deep dive into how to schedule an In-District meeting and what to do when you get there. It is a must not miss event if you have ever thought about meeting with your legislators. Details are in the event section below.
- RUWMOneSmallThing – Last week the Massachusetts House and Senate overwhelmingly passed the most comprehensive criminal justice bill in our state in decades! Now Governor Baker needs to sign the bill. So, this week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference is to use this link to send a direct message to Gov. Baker and urge him to sign the criminal justice reform bill (S.2371) today.
- Tell Fox they got it right this time – Have you seen this interview where Fox News reporter Ed Henry takes (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt to task about his ethics violations (among other things)? It’s a tough and fair interview. When we see wrong-doing we call that out and when we something done right, we send support. Let’s thank Mr. Henry by sending a note to: Fox News, 1211 Avenue of the Americas, NY, NY 10036. While we are at it lets contact Scott Pruitt via the EPA webpage or on Twitter at @EPAScottPruitt and demand his resignation.
- Have a friend in NC or WV? Their voter registration deadline is coming! If we want a blue wave in November, we need to make sure everyone is registered to vote, and each state has different deadlines. If you know someone in North Carolina or West Virginia, call, text, tweet or message them today because their voter registration deadlines are right around the corner. Here are some helpful links to share with them. North Carolina: Register by Friday, April 13 with printable form. West Virginia: Register by Tuesday, April 17 online (required documents)
- Sign this petition to protect the Mueller investigation – From Wall-of-Us: Sign this petition put out by the DCCC, to condemn any interference in the Russia investigation.
- Support Transgender Troops – From Rogan’s List: The American Medical Association has let Secretary of Defense James Mattis know that they think his take on transgender troops distorts the evidence. Let’s write to Secretary Mattis and let him know that we expect adherence to the scientific evidence rather than the trampling of civil rights: Secretary of Defense James Mattis, US Dept of Defense, 1400 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC, 20301-1400As
- Donate to support the family of Stephon Clark – Stephon Clark was shot in the back and killed by Sacramento police more than two weeks ago, and the officers involved have still not been charged. If you have the means, consider offering financial support to Stephon Clark’s children by contributing to their fund here.
- Tell Congress: Pass Public Financing of Congressional Elections and Overturn Citizens United. – Sign this petition from CT Senator Chris Murphy, to call on Congress to pass public financing of Congressional elections and to take action to reverse the impact of the disastrous Citizens United decision.
- Stop Confirmation of Trump’s War Cabinet – If you didn’t take this action last week, please do so now. From Indivisible National: In recent weeks, Trump has moved to add a trio of war hawks and criminals to his circle of advisors. We don’t have a way to stop John Bolton from becoming Trump’s new National Security Advisor, but we CAN stop Gina Haspel from becoming CIA Director and Mike Pompeo from becoming Secretary of State. Here are links to information and call scripts
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- Jericho Walk for Immigrant Justice – April 11, 10:00AM-11:00AM, 1550 Main St, Springfield. Join us for an interfaith prayer service for immigrant rights! Together we will circle the Springfield Old Federal Building in the Biblical tradition of Joshua in Jericho, calling for the walls to tumble down.
We will end with a blessing of our 700+ letters of support for Lucio Perez, and a delegation of faith leaders will hand deliver the letters to the ICE office. Gather at 10 a.m. at the HOT TABLE restaurant at 1500 Main St, corner of Boland and Main. Event details.
- Addressing Wealth Inequality: Tax Cut & Local Solidarity Economy – April 11, 6:30-8:30 PM, Jones Library, 43 Amity St, Amherst. Join us in the Wentworth Room of the Jones Library in Amherst for a public forum and discussion called “Addressing Wealth Inequality: The Tax Cut and the Local Solidarity Economy,” sponsored by Arise for Social Justice’s Community Resource Board. View the event here.
- Sidewalk Vigil for the Planet – April 14, 10:00-10:30 AM, Center Church of South Hadley, 1 Church St, South Hadley. Center Church will hold a sidewalk vigil to take a stand for the planet. Everyone interested in promoting just, sane, science-based environmental policies, as well as a personal commitment to cleaning up and preserving our planet for future generations, is most welcome. Signs and flags will be provided, or you may bring your own. Facebook event details.
- Nonviolent Direct-Action Training – April 14, 10:00AM-4:00PM, Nueva Esperanza, 401 Main St, Holyoke. Hosted by Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership. Nonviolent direct-action training is essential to movement building. This class provides a basic foundation in relation to the tenets and history of nonviolence, nonviolent action, community building, understanding the legal process, democratic decision-making using consensus, creating affinity groups for mutual support, and reflections for discernment about whether to engage in civil disobedience/risking arrest. Everyone is welcome and participants are expected to stay for the entire six hours. Note: This workshop serves as the pre-requisite for the Peacekeeper Training on May 12, 2018. The course is free but you need to register here.
- The Growing Danger of Nuclear War and What We Can Do About It – April 14, 1:30 – 3:00PM, Springfield City Library, 220 State St, Springfield. The workshop will explore the growing danger of nuclear war, including regional hot spots where war could start, and other factors which are increasing the likelihood that these weapons will be used. It will examine the actual consequences that will result from the use of nuclear weapons. The workshop will also discuss the urgent need for the U.S. to change its current policy, which is based on the commitment of all nine nuclear armed states to maintain and upgrade their nuclear arsenal. It will discuss how to help build the growing “Back from the Brink” campaign to move U.S. nuclear policy to the active pursuit of a world free of nuclear weapons. Hosted by Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership. The class is free but registration is required
- Meeting Your Legislators Face to Face: “How-To” Panel Discussion – April 17 at 7 PM – 8:30 PM, Chicopee Public Library – Conference Room, 449 Front Street, Chicopee. Having an in-district meeting is often the most effective way to communicate with your state legislators about issues that are important to you. Join us for this panel discussion, designed to give you the tools you’ll need to hold successful meetings with your state legislators, including some insider information about what works and what doesn’t, and talking points for vital bills that need support in MA. Panelists are Michael Clark, Senior Advisor and Director of Strategic Engagement at Office of Senator Eric P. Lesser and Olivia Santoro, Volunteer Coordinator for the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts. There will be ample time for Q and A following the panel. Hosted by Rise Up Western Mass Indivisible. For more information and to RSVP see the event here.
- Combatants for Peace in WesternMass – April 22, 4:00-7:00PM, Islamic Center of Western Mass, 377 Amostown Rd, West Springfield. Combatants for Peace, founded in 2006, is a non-profit, volunteer organization of ex-combatant Israelis and Palestinians, men and women, who have laid down their weapons and rejected all means of violence. Their mission is to build the social infrastructure necessary for ending the occupation and conflict. Come here their powerful story. Hosted by American Friends of Combatants for Peace and Critical Connections. For more information view the event here.
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events. Also, to be “in the know” about what Indivisible groups are doing across Massachusetts, sign up for the MA ACTION newsletter by sending an email to: email@example.com.
From Indivisible National
**Our Atty General Maura Healy is already committed to joining this suit, but there is good information in this article about the census-citizenship question**
The Census Citizenship Question is Unconstitutional. Ask your State Attorney General to Sue.
The U.S. Census may seem like a normal survey to a lot of people, but it is actually an enormously important process required by the U.S. Constitution to occur every 10 years. True to form, Trump is now using the Census to instill fear in immigrant communities and advance his anti-immigrant agenda. The Trump administration recently announced that they would add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census, a move that would result in a severe undercounting of our population.
The More You Know
National Guard at the Border
- Trump claimed his plan to put troops on the border is extraordinary. It was routine for Obama.
- Trump is not first president to deploy troops to US-Mexico border
- Why President Trump Can’t Directly Order National Guard Troops To U.S.-Mexico Border
- US military on border would have limited role
- Trump’s call to guard “our border with our military,” explained
Check This Out
Trump Town – Tracking White House Staffers, Cabinet Members and Political Appointees Across the Government. “The Trump administration has appointed hundreds of staffers to powerful positions across the federal government. Some are old policy hands from conservative D.C. think tanks. Others have little-to-no government experience and come straight from the industries they are now tasked to regulate and oversee. We’ve collected personnel records for thousands of these appointees. Use this database to search for them by name, former employer and agency.
Did you receive this email from a friend? You can sign up here to get it delivered directly to your inbox.