Hello fellow RUWMI activists!
In the wake of all of the craziness of last week, it is easy to get caught up into a pattern of reactionary behavior. But we also be focused on “proactivism” – activism with an eye on 2018. Resistance Resolutions Meeting- We are having a planning meeting to discuss where we’d like to see RUWMI headed and what we want to focus on in the new year. Come and be a part of the discussion; make your voice heard and give us your input! Mark your calendars for Thursday, December 7th for our “Resistance Resolutions” meeting, and help create our list of 2018 priorities. You can view the event Facebook here.
- Do some holiday shopping and help support RUWMI at the same time – Check out our new online store for RUWMI logo shirts. Lots of styles to choose from and you can choose your own shirt color too! They make great holiday gifts for the activist in your life and a portion of the sale price goes to RUWMI, so it’s a win-win.
- RUWMOneSmallThing – You’ve heard of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday? Well do you know about Giving Tuesday? It’s a global day of giving and it’s happening THIS TUESDAY! So, in the spirit of the season, this week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference, is to participate in this year’s Giving Tuesday. Here are some ideas for how you can participate. Take part and then help spread the word by sharing this on your own social media!
- Help Kill Trump’s Tax Scam – We haven’t given up yet and we are down to the wire. Here are some ways you can help.
- At the time of this writing the following Senators were key players in the decision. If you know someone in one of these states, ask them to contact their Senator and voice their opposition to this bill. For that matter, if you have friends in any state with a Republican senator, ask them to call and voice their opposition. Here are some handy call scripts. And this link gives great talking points about individual state impacts of the tax plan.
Alaska – Lisa Murkowski
Arizona – John McCain
Arizona – Senator Jeff Flake
Indiana – Senator Todd Young
Kansas – Senator Jesse Moran
Maine – Senator Susan Collins
Nevada – Senator Dean Heller
Tennessee – Senator Bob Corker
Wisconsin – Senator Ron Johnson
- Use this handy Peer-to-peer calling tool to call constituents in red states.
- Keep fighting for Net Neutrality – Protect your right to access to the internet, before the FCC vote on December 14 to roll back net-neutrality rules. This impacts EVERYBODY. Here are some actions you can take
- Educate yourself – learn about net-neutrality and how why we need to protect it. Watch this video and read this article.
- Attend this protest at the Hadley Verizon store on Dec 7th at 3:30. (If you watch the video above – you’ll hear John Oliver explain Verizon’s connection)
- Call congress, click here to use this easy call tool from Common Cause.
- Sign this petition from Senator Kamala Harris
- Write a letter to your local newspaper about the importance of Net Neutrality.
- Support revoking the Keystone pipeline permit: From the Alt National Park Service (via Rogan’s List). South Dakota is looking into revoking the Keystone pipeline permit after last week’s 210,000+ gallon spill. This is a relatively new pipeline and has already experienced three major leaks one just on the border with North Dakota and two in South Dakota in less than a 10-year period. Please call South Dakota Public Utilities Commission (PUC) member Gary Hanson and let him know you support revoking the Keystone pipeline permit because the operator violated its license by promising state-of-the-art pipeline construction. This promise was broken based on the continuous leaks/spills occurring in a short period of time. Please call and leave a voicemail at (605) 773-3201. If the South Dakota PUC voicemail is full you can email the three commissioners at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Voice your support to free Cyntoia Brown – Do you know the story of Cyntoia Brown and why she is serving a life sentence? If not read about her here. Then sign this petition from MoveOn.Org.
- Phonebank/text for Doug Jones – All hands are needed on deck to increase support for Doug Jones and defeat Roy Moore in Alabama’s upcoming election. If you would like to help Doug Jones, you can sign up to phone bank or text for him using this form.
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming Events
- Resistance Resolutions: Plan for 2018 – December 7, 6:30-7:30 PM, Forest Park Branch Library, Come join us for our December meeting as we make our group ‘Resistance Resolutions”. We are hoping to follow the lead of Indivisible National, who this coming year will be focusing on more than just resistance work (adding electoral politics, building a nationwide progressive network, etc.) To that end we need to sit down together and discuss where we’d like to see RUWMI headed and what we want to focus on in the new year. But we need YOU to be a part of that discussion and help us set our agenda for 2018! During this meeting we will discuss a variety of possible focus areas, and then narrow the list down to some manageable goals for the coming year. Come with your ideas and let your voices be heard. View the Facebook event here and let us know you’re coming.
- Building Inclusive Communities: The Role of Faith Leaders – December 8, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Holyoke Community College, 303 Homestead Ave, Holyoke. How can faith leaders address racism, homophobia and religious intolerance within their communities? How do they reconcile theological beliefs with secular laws? What risks do they take? What are the challenges and opportunities they grapple with to promote inclusion and diversity, and what are effective strategies to develop empathy and understanding? Join Critical Connections and Karuna Center for Peacebuilding for a day of reflection and sharing of best practices with local multi-faith clergy. This event is free and open to the public Hosted by Critical Connections and Karuna Center for Peacebuilding
- To get the most up to date list of events, go to Rise Up Western Mass’s event calendar here. Also bookmark the National Resistance Calendar for additional events.
Keep Your Eyes On
But wait this doesn’t have to do with taxes! Info on the non-tax parts of #TrumpsTaxScam.
- These controversial items tucked into the Senate tax bill have little to do with taxes
- Hidden in GOP tax bill: A plan to turn churches into dark-money spigots
- The House tax bill contains language about unborn children, but is it an attempt to ban abortion?
- Commentary: The Hidden Victim of Trump’s Tax Plan: Your Health Insurance
Check This Out
Learning the power of activism at an early age – Check out this video from actress and future royal Meghan Markle.