- RUWMOneSmallThing – This week’s #RUWMOneSmallThing, one small thing you can do that will make a difference is to sign this petition to be delivered to Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen, urging her to abandon the cruel, costly, and unjustified practice of separating families seeking protection at our borders, including those who are fleeing persecution in their home countries. Children belong with their parents in safe communities, not locked up in detention centers. You can sign the petition here.
- Check out MomsRising – In honor of Mother’s Day, check out this amazing organization. MomsRising takes on the most critical issues facing women, mothers, and families by educating the public and mobilizing massive grassroots actions. Check-out their website here and if you are interested in keeping informed about their work sign-up for their mailing list here
- Host a Phone Bank for the ACLU – The ACLU of MA is looking for people to host phone banks for immigrants’ rights between May 16th and 23rd. This Thursday, the Senate is going to release their version of the budget. It’s yet to be seen what, if any, protections will be included initially and what amendments will need to be filed. We know that there will be a lot of noise from the opposition, so we want to make sure we’re flooding the Senate with pro-immigrant protection calls. If you are able to host a few people to have a phone bank the ACLU will provide you with access to the virtual phone bank technology that includes both a call script and a call list targeting priority Senate districts. If you are interested please email us at Riseupwesternmass@gmail.com and we will put you in touch with the ACLU.
- Put your spare change to good use – Check out Appolition, an automated service for giving your “spare change” to the year-round National Bail Out fund. What began as an idea on Twitter has become the first technology designed to help pay bail for those who can’t afford it via automated spare change donations. In less than 5 months, Appolitionists have pooled together $130,000, bailed out over 40 people and provided financial support to 16 grassroots organizations working to fight mass incarceration. And now they are working on an app to make donating your spare change even easier. Learn more
- Sign-Up for the ACLU’s Courtwatch Training – initiative, to develop trained court monitors to observe and report court proceedings, making sure that justice is served. Use this link to learn more and to sign up. If we can get 15 participants, the ACLU will bring the training to us.
- We Need One More Vote to Save Net Neutrality – Support Senator Markey’s CRA resolution to protect net neutrality. 50 senators (49 Democrats and Republican Senator Susan Collins) are ready to overturn the FCC’s decision this week. We need one more vote. Indivisible has identified Senator John Kennedy as the most likely to help. Call Senator Kennedy today and tell him to Support Senator Markey’s Resolution. You can use Indivisible’s call scripts and more info, click here.
- Did you miss our teen panel on sensible gun legislation? You’re in luck because we recorded this important discussion. Watch the video here.
RUWM on Facebook
RUWM on Twitter
RUWM on Instagram
Our work starts here.
We are the change.